The Samurai Principle

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:38:14 EDT 2010

On Sep 7, 5:51 pm, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 9/7/2010 2:53 PM, Phlip wrote:
>
> > They are for situations which the caller should care not to handle.
>
> Python is simply not designed that way. Exception raising and catching
> is a common flow-control method in Python. If you cannot stand that,
> Python is not for you.

While I'm at it, I'm going to log into comp.lang.java.misc and explain
to everyone why static typing is overkill, and implementation
inheritance is good for you.

Everyone gets defensive about the design flaws in their own language.
But the django.db situation is not even a design flaw; just a
misinterpretation of the Samurai Principle. int('yo') shall throw an
exception, but a missing record could be the result you were looking
for, so it's not exceptional.