accessing a text file

Baba raoulbia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 13:45:52 EDT 2010

On 7 sep, 16:50, Grant Edwards <inva... at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-09-07, Baba <raoul... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sloppy wording, I apologise. This should say: If you find the
> > question you're reading too easy then just don't answer. Noone is the
> > owner of a democratic forum where freedom to ask the question one
> > likes is paramount (as long of course as it is related to the
> > group)...so let me repeat that, to say "Please do us a favour and at
> > least try to figure things out on your own" is in my view
> > inappropriate.
>
> You need to read this:
>
>  http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> > To me it sounds "Do me a favur and get lost".
>
> No, it means "Do yourself a favor, learn how to do things yourself."
>
> Remember: you're then one asking people to give you something for
> free. It's not up to them to conform to your expectations, rather you
> need to conform to theirs.  Otherwise, they'll just ignore you.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! FOOLED you!  Absorb
>                                   at               EGO SHATTERING impulse
>                               gmail.com            rays, polyester poltroon!!

"Please do us a favour" sounds condescending to me at least but maybe
we Europeans are a bit touchy...

However the following Wiki excerpt seems to go in my direction:

"When someone makes a mistake -- whether it's a spelling error or a
spelling flame, a stupid question or an unnecessarily long answer --
be kind about it. If it's a minor error, you may not need to say
anything. Even if you feel strongly about it, think twice before
reacting. Having good manners yourself doesn't give you license to
correct everyone else. If you do decide to inform someone of a
mistake, point it out politely, and preferably by private email rather
than in public. Give people the benefit of the doubt; assume they just
don't know any better. And never be arrogant or self-righteous about
it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Baba