accessing a text file

Baba raoulbia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 12:29:15 EDT 2010

On 6 sep, 18:14, geremy condra <debat... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Baba <raoul... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6 sep, 16:58, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollybox.de> wrote:
> >> On Monday 06 September 2010, it occurred to Baba to exclaim:

> >> That is of course perfectly legitimate. It would however have been polite to
> >> state that in the question. Show us that you're doing your homework, and not
> >> just using the list as a cheap path to having to think less yourself.
>
> >> Phrasing your post as "I would like to compare a ... I found the open()
> >> function here: [link]. Is this what I should use of is there any other/better
> >> way?" makes a completely different impression.
>
> >> Also, keeping personal comments to one's self is just not how it works. On a
> >> list like this especially, answers along the lines of "That's the way to do
> >> what you were asking for, but are you sure the question went into the right
> >> direction? Have you thought of [...]?" can often be very helpful.

> > Thanks Thomas. Look up some of my questions  this group and read
> > through them and come back to tell me if a) i use this forum to learn
> > without making any efforts myself
>
> Just a quick point- when you ask someone for help, it's considered
> impolite to tell them what to do.
>
> I'd also point out that you gave no indication that you'd worked on
> this at all before posting it. In that regard, Thomas's concern seems
> completely justified to me.
>
> > or b) i use this forum to get
> > started using the expertise of more knowledgeable programmers while at
> > the same time particiapting.
>
> Again, Thomas's concern seems justified to me. Things would probably
> go more smoothly if you gave a better indication of what you had done
> so far on the problem in the future.
>
> > Anyway having this discussion is beside
> > the point. Any Expert out there who thinks we beginners are some dumb
> > idiots who are too stupid to think for themselves and are lucky to
> > have a bunch of geniuses like you to help, get lost or make yourself a
> > cup of tea but please give me a break from teaching me lessons...
>
> I don't think all beginners are idiots, or even most of them- but this
> isn't the right attitude to be taking. Both Thomas and myself thought
> that this was inappropriate enough to mention it, and if two people
> spoke up you can bet a lot more were thinking it quietly. My
> suggestion would be to moderate your approach and demonstrate what
> you've done so far (if only to increase the signal-to-noise ratio as
> your problems become more challenging) when posting. I'd also refrain
> from telling people to get lost; it doesn't make people happy to help
> you, you know?
>
> Geremy Condra

Thanks Jeremy, i will take your advice on board! Noone likes to be
taught lessons i think so it is only normal that i reacted. If i had
received a friendly response from Benjamin (as opposed to "Please do
us a favor and at least try to figure things out on your own") making
me aware of the etiquette that my post should also show that i have
researched my question somehow  and if his tone would have been
mannered then we would not be having this discussion now. Ok now i
need to go back to actual Pythoon learning, i'm getting distracted.

Kind regards,
Baba