Performance: sets vs dicts.

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Wed Sep 1 20:11:03 EDT 2010

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> On 9/1/2010 5:40 PM, John Bokma wrote:

[..]

> Yes, I switched, because 'constant time' is a comprehensible claim
> that can be refuted and because that is how some will interpret O(1)
> (see below for proof;-).

You make it now sound alsof this interpretation is not correct or out of
place. People who have bothered to read ItA will use O(1) and constant
time interchangeably while talking of the order of growth of the running
time algorithms and most of those are aware that 'big oh' hides a
constant, and that in the real world a O(log n) algorithm can outperform
an O(1) algorithm for small values of n.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Blog: http://johnbokma.com/    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/j.j.j.bokma
    Freelance Perl & Python Development: http://castleamber.com/