Python in Linux - barrier to Python 3.x

Ant antroy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 08:29:30 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I've just seen this: http://sheddingbikes.com/posts/1285063820.html

Whatever you think of Zed Shaw (author of the Mongrel Ruby server and
relatively recent Python convert), he has a very good point in this. I
run Fedora 12 on my home computers, and find it far too much hassle to
try to get Python 3 installed. Even the 2.x's are behind - IIRC think
it currently uses 2.5.

So I really think this is a barrier to entry to Python 3 that we could
do without - it's the only reason I do all of my Python work in 2.x, I
would jump at migrating to Python 3 if it was easily available on
Fedora.

Is there a solution to this that anyone knows of? Has Zed jumped to
conclusions? Have I?