Debugger - fails to "continue" with breakpoint set

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Wed Sep 15 13:38:16 EDT 2010

I'm pretty new to Python, but I am really enjoying it as an alternative
to Perl and PHP.

When I run the debugger [import pdb; pdb.set_trace()] and then do next
and step, and evaluate variables, etc, when I hit 'c' for continue, we
go to the end, just fine.

As soon as I set a breakpoint down the line, [b <line number>] the
behavior of 'c' changes. Instead of continuing until the breakpoint, or
until the end, if the breakpoint is hidden by a conditional, the
debugger starts to treat 'c' as a step (or a next, I'm not sure which.)

This behavior is repeatable and consistent.

I see this in python 2.6.4 on Ubuntu 9.10 and also in 2.5.2 on Ubuntu
8.04 (Hardy), both using the installed packages.

I must be missing something. Assistance will be welcome.

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg