Numpy: Multiplying arrays of matrices

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 14 19:54:00 EDT 2010

Suppose I have two N+2 dimensional arrays, representing
N-d arrays of 2-d matrices. I want to perform matrix
multiplication between corresponding matrices in these
arrays.

I had thought that dot() might do this, but it appears
not, because e.g. applying it to two 3-d arrays gives
a 4-d array, not another 3-d array.

I'd also like to be able to find the inverse of each
matrix in one of these arrays, but again, inv() doesn't
do what I want -- it only works on 2-d arrays.

Any thoughts on how to achieve these things using numpy
functions?

--
Greg