32 bit bdist_wininst vs x64 platform

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Sep 9 07:28:40 EDT 2010

A reportlab user is using 32 bit python on x64 win 2003. he has a problem
installing our bdist_wininst exe because the installer cannot find python.

Apparently the installer is looking at HKLM\Software to locate python, but on
x64 32 bit program requests get redirected to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node
(Extended explanation in KB article 896459).

Is this fixable by me making a local patch to my distutils to check for the real
platform and modifying the RegOpenKeyEx call? Or is there some distutils magic
that I'm missing?

Does anyone know if the bdist_msi might be better?
--
Robin Becker