Tkinter: how to create (modal) dialogs a la tk_dialog?

Olaf Dietrich odt at dtrx.de
Thu Oct 28 09:57:24 EDT 2010

Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de>:
> Olaf Dietrich wrote:
>
>> I'm stuck with a probably simple task: How can I create
>> a user defined dialog (similar to tkFileDialog.askdirectory(),
>> but with my own set of options/selections)?
>
> Have a look at the SimpleDialog module. A usage example is at the end of the
> file:

Thanks, that's sufficiently close to what I was looking
for (in particular after changing the layout to vertically
packed buttons). Could it be that these parts of Tkinter
are not particularly extensively documented? (Or am I searching
with the wrong expressions?)

Is there also any "template" dialog that works with a listbox
instead of buttons (or is more similar to the file dialogs)?

Thanks,
Olaf