Unix-head needs to Windows-ize his Python script (II)

Wed Oct 27 19:54:03 EDT 2010

In message <pan.2010.10.27.01.12.21.766000 at nowhere.com>, Nobody wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:46:28 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> Why would you want both CLI and GUI functions in one program?
>
> An obvious example was the one which was being discussed, i.e. the Python
> interpreter.

But the Python interpreter has no GUI.

> Depending upon the "script", it may need to behave as a command-line
> utility (read argv, do stuff, exit), a terminal-based interactive program,
> a GUI program, a network server, or whatever.

For all the sense your argument makes, you might as well say the same thing
about the C run-time library.

> Forcing a program to choose between the two means that we need both
> python.exe and pythonw.exe.

And yet we get by just fine without this dichotomy on more rationally-
designed operating systems.

> A less obvious example is a program designed to use whatever interface
> facilities are available. E.g. XEmacs can use either a terminal or a GUI
> or both.

And yet it manages this just fine, without Amiga-style invocation hacks, on
more rationally-designed operating systems. How is that?