sed equivalent of something easy in python

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Oct 27 10:08:14 EDT 2010

On 10/27/10 08:27, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> (2) made me take care of 2 files instead of 1 from now on.
>>
>> Not necessarily:
>>
>> $ cat heredoc.sh
>> #!/usr/bin/env bash
>> python<<  'EOF'
>> print "hello world"
>> def foo():
>>      print "foo()"
>> foo()
>> EOF
>> $
>
> Or even better:
>
> $ cat hello
> #!/usr/bin/python
> print "hello world"
> def foo():
>      print "foo()"
> foo()
>
> $ chmod u+x hello
> $ hello
> hello world
> foo()
> $
>
> which saves an unnecessary shell invocation.

Note that the OP was including this inside a pre-existing
shell-script that was working for their purposes.  Lie's
suggestion allows Python to be embedded in the existing
shell-script; to use your solution, the OP would have to rewrite
their entire existing script in Python (not necessarily a bad
thing in my book, for maintainability purposes, but does not
appear to be at the top of their list of things to do)

-tkc