Python 2.7 or 3.1

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Tue Oct 26 23:53:57 EDT 2010

On Oct 26, 2010, at 11:10 PM, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> Hello Christian and all .
>
> Thanks for the comments. I am newbie to Python trying to learn all the comments, that , by the way, I am very impressed of the knowledge of the people present in this list.
>
> I was wondering if you can comment more about what alternatives to use instead to MySql. My web solutions do not need "all the power" of a true database, I even was wondering if I couldbe able to put simple dBase files (yes, dBase files) with my web solutions.
>
> - Any comments you can do on what to use 2.7 or 3.1? ( I guess 2.7 for what I have read)
> - Maybe should be another subject but... Any comments on using dBase format file with Python?

Hi Jorge,
Python comes with SQLite "baked in", meaning you don't have to install anything extra to get the full power of SQLite. Depending on what you want to do, that might be perfect for your needs. It's been part of Python since 2.5.

If you need a heavy-duty database, I recommend checking out PostgreSQL. I've always found it solid and easy to use.

Have fun
Philip