Why "flat is better than nested"?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 26 10:42:02 EDT 2010

On 10/26/2010 9:05 AM, kj wrote:
> Perhaps the disconnect here is that you're seeing the whole thing
> from an insider's point of view, while I'm still enough of an
> outsider not to share this point of view.  (I happen to think that
> one the hallmarks of being an initiate to a discipline is an almost
> complete loss of any memory of what that discipline looked like
> when the person was a complete novice.  If this is true, then it's
> easy to understand the difference in our perceptions.)

That can be true of most technical communities, and Python is no
exception. As someone who does quite a lot of training the challenge is
always to hold on to those outsider perceptions to avoid the learners
feeling lost.

> Anyway, thanks for letting me in on the joke.  I'll pass it on.
>
> (Though, humorless as it is of me, I still would prefer the ZoP
> out of the standard library, to save myself having to tell those
> who are even newer to Python than me not to take it seriously.)

The answer is probably the same as you will see if you try

  from __future__ import braces

That feature *is* available in Python 2.6 ;-)

regards
 Steve
PyCon 2011 Atlanta March 9-17       http://us.pycon.org/
See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/