Help Need in running a Python Program from terminal

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Mon Oct 25 10:16:44 EDT 2010

On Oct 25, 2010, at 7:16 AM, Raji wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> I want to analyse and debug a python program  ( its a astrology application
> )
>
> Downloaded the code from here http://openastro.org/?Download
> <http://openastro.org/?Download%20>for Ubuntu
>
> When i executed the main file python openastro.py from terminal i stopped
> with the following error
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "openastro.py", line 90, in <module>
>    TRANSLATION[LANGUAGES[i]] =
> gettext.translation("openastro",TDomain,languages=['en'])
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/gettext.py", line 484, in translation
>    raise IOError(ENOENT, 'No translation file found for domain', domain)
> IOError: [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'openastro'

Hi Raji,
Did you have a look at the documentation for the call that's failing?

Here's the doc for gettext.translation():
http://docs.python.org/library/gettext.html#gettext.translation

I don't know anything about gettext or openastro, but the doc says, "If no .mo file is found, this function raises IOError..." which is the problem you're having. It seems like what you downloaded is expecting to find a .mo file but can't. You might want to check the package instructions on openastro.org to make sure there's not more you need to do to install it.

Good luck
Philip