Nested Mapping

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:48:36 EDT 2010

On 10/21/10 6:19 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> I would appreciate any feedback on the API and on how well it fits
> with various use cases that you've found in the wild.

We've done something similar in the past:

https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/CodeTools/trunk/enthought/contexts/multi_context.py

I'm not sure we'd have much use for a batteries-included collections.Context,
per se, since we needed the other features of our Context implementation like
notification and restriction. In particular, we were using our MultiContext with
subcontext mapping objects that could restrict the types of values that were
contained in them. We wanted to execute code in a MultiContext and be able to
separate functions and classes that were defined or imported from other
variables for display.

As for the API, I would probably want to be able to create a Context simply
given a list of existing maps rather than needing to build a chain of them using
.new_child(). Most of the use cases I can imagine are ones where I already have
populated dictionaries, and I just want to slap this behavior on top of them.
Other than that, it looks good.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."