socket.sendto / UDP problem

Todd Walter twalter at rogers.com
Fri Oct 22 09:27:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 00:00:03 +0100
MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> On 21/10/2010 21:05, Todd Walter wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:03:58 +0100
> > MRAB<python at mrabarnett.plus.com>  wrote:

> >> [snip]
> >> What I meant was that you're using 'pcSocket' for both directions
> >> and using .bind on it.
> >>
> >> Try creating two sockets, 'pcInSocket' and 'pcOutSocket', and bind
> >> only pcOutSocket.

As it turns out, I must use only one socket.  I have to use a fixed
source port as the PLC will respond to that port.  If I transmit
using .sendto with an unbound socket the source port is picked at
random making listening for the response impossible. It was my
understanding that there could be a many-to-one relationship between
sockets and ports but an attempt to recv without a bind throws an error
and an attempt to bind to an already bound port throws an error.  I
thought the socket operations worked on the buffer so why does
multiplexing fail?  It shouldn't care how many listeners there are, it
should just read the information off the wire and throw it somewhere
everyone can read it.  Is there a way to specify the source port for a
transmission without first binding to it?

- - Todd