embarrassing class question

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 15:41:37 EDT 2010

On 10/21/10 2:12 PM, Brendan wrote:
> On Oct 21, 3:56 pm, Ethan Furman<et... at stoneleaf.us>  wrote:
>> Jonas H. wrote:

>>> Because that's how `import` behaves. It imports *every* member of the
>>> module into the importing module's global namespace (except for
>>> attributes that start with an underscore).
>>
>> Um, no.  (unless you do "from<whatever>  import *" at the module level)
>>
>> What it does is add whatever you imported into the namespace where you
>> imported it.
>>
>> Because y.py has "from x import x" the x class from x.py is added to the
>> y.py namespace.
>>
>> ~Ethan~- Hide quoted text -

> So what is usually done to prevent this? (In my case not wanting class
> x added to the y.py namespace)
> It seems sloppy.

You can explicitly delete it at the end of the file if you never reference it
from one of your methods.

Mostly though, it just doesn't matter much. I recommend leaving it alone. If you
want a nice, clean namespace for people to use, make a module (e.g. api.py) that
doesn't define any classes or functions but just imports them from their
defining modules.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."