pylint -- should I just ignore it sometimes?

Arnaud Delobelle arnodel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 15:04:10 EDT 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:37:36 +0200, Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:

> By the way:
>
>> xCoordinate, yCoordinate, zCoordinate = polygon.nextPointCoordinates()
>
> Coordinates are pairs or triples of *ordinates* (no "co"). You can't have
> an "x coordinate" -- that would be like unpacking a single pair of shoes
> into a "left-pair" and a "right-pair".

Wrong, the ordinate is specifically the second coordinate (the first one
being the abscissa).  I don't think these words are in common use in the
english speaking world though (in France, "abscisse" and "ordonnée" are
terms taught at school).  The terms x-coordinate and y-coordinate are
very commonly used.

--
Arnaud