pylint -- should I just ignore it sometimes?

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Thu Oct 21 14:14:05 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-21, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:
> Let me quote the paper I linked in the previous post:
>
> list1 = []
> for x in theList:
>     if x[0] == 4:
>         list1 += x;
> return list1
>
> compare it to:
>
> flaggedCells = []
> for cell in theBoard:
>     if cell[STATUS_VALUE] == FLAGGED:
>         flaggedCells += cell
> return flaggedCells

The latter is better, but:

	flagged = []
	for cell in board:
	    if cell.flagged():
		flagged += cell;

is probably even better.  (Here's where I love Ruby's idiom of
"flagged?" as a method name.)

The "Cells" suffix on flagged is questionable; I'd omit it in context because
the programmer knows we're working on cells.  The "the" prefix on "theBoard"
is actively harmful -- it communicates nothing and clutters.  Adding symbolic
words to the cell[0] == 4 test is a great idea, but it's been done
questionably:
	1.  Did we just clutter the entire global namespace with "FLAGGED"
	    and "STATUS_VALUE"?  If not, what namespace are they in, that
	    we're able to use them unqualified?
	2.  Why are we exposing that much of our interface in the first place?

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net