Reading Outlook .msg file using Python

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Oct 21 04:48:54 EDT 2010

On 21/10/2010 09:34, Jon Clements wrote:
> Only just noticed this thread, and had something similar. I took the
> following approach:-
>
> (I'm thinking this might be relevant as you mentioned checking whether
> your client's Outlook could export .EML directly, which indicates (to
> me at least) that you have some control over that...)
>
> - Set up an IMAP email server on a machine (in this case linux and
> dovecot)
> - Got client to set up a new account in Outlook for the new server
> - Got client to use the Outlook interface to copy relevant emails (or
> the whole lot) to new server
> - Used the standard imaplib and related modules to do what was needed

Nice lateral approach. It would also be possible to do this same
kind of thing via the native Microsoft toolset alone if the OP
has access to the appropriate Outlook / Exchange accounts. (Indeed,
Exchange itself can act as an IMAP server which might be another
approach). I confess I was starting from the original "Can I read an
.msg file?" question.

TJG