how to name a function in a comp lang (design)

Marc Mientki mientki at nonet.com
Wed Oct 20 07:52:14 EDT 2010

Am 20.10.2010 13:14, schrieb Xah Lee:

> See also:
>
> • 〈The Importance of Terminology's Quality In Computer Languages〉
> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/naming_functions.html
>
> where i gave some examples of the naming.
>
>   Xah ∑ http://xahlee.org/
   "I'd like to introduce a blog post by Stephen Wolfram, on the design
process of Mathematica. In particular, he touches on the importance of
naming of functions."

   "The functions in Mathematica, are usually very well-named, in
contrast to most other computing languages."

   "Let me give a few example. [...]"

It is much easier to improve something good than to invent from scratch.
When Lisp was born, Stephen Wolfram was still wearing diapers.

For your information: Mathematica was my first Lisp-like language. I
used it about 10 years almost every day and I love it because of the
beauty of the concept. But Mathematica has two serious problems: first,
there is only one implementation and it is commercial, and secondly,
Mathematica is very, very slowly and does not generate executable code
that can be used without Mathematica itself. Thus, comparisons to other
languages, such as Lisp are not fair.

regards
Marc