annoying CL echo in interactive python / ipython

Jed Smith jed at jedsmith.org
Tue Oct 19 16:17:06 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Jed Smith <jed at jedsmith.org> writes:
>
>>>     echo (-echo)
>>>                 Echo back (do not echo back) every character typed.
>>
>> I'm going to guess that the percent sign in your prompt indicates that
>> you're using zsh(1).  With my minimally-customized zsh, the echo
>> option is reset every time the prompt is displayed. That means you can
>> type "stty -echo", push CR, the echo option is cleared, then zsh
>> immediately sets it before you get to type again.
>
> But are you running zsh in an emacs shell window?  Emacs shell is not a
> terminal emulator, it lets emacs do the editing, and only sends it to
> the shell when enter is pressed.  To avoid clashing with readline and
> equivalent (ZLE in case of zsh), emacs presents itself as a dumb
> terminal, which should make zsh turn ZLE off.

I'll take your word for it, as I don't use emacs. That makes sense,
though, as while researching this question I did find documentation
that suggests zsh disables ZLE under emacs.

OP, it sounds like in this circumstance, then, that you want
interactive Python without readline (which means a recompile, and from
a quick Google it sounds like it might not work). I'd leave readline
in the system Python and just tell emacs to use my custom one without
it, if I were you.

(Or save the trouble and just run ipy in a separate xterm :>)

--
Jed Smith
jed at jedsmith.org