processing input from multiple files

John Posner jjposner at optimum.net
Thu Oct 14 15:15:29 EDT 2010

On 10/14/2010 10:44 AM, Christopher Steele wrote:
> The issue is that I need to be able to both, split the names of the
> files so that I can extract the relevant times, and open each
> individual file and process each line individually. Once I have
> achieved this I need to append the sorted files onto one another in
> one long file so that I can pass them into a verification package.
> I've tried changing the name to textline and I get the same result

I'm very happy to hear that changing the name of a variable did not
affect the way the program works! Anything else would be worrisome.

> - the sorted files overwrite one another.

Variable *time* names a list, with one member for each input file. But
variable *newtime* names a scalar value, not a list. That looks like a
problem to me. Either of the following changes might help:

Original:

   for x in time:
       hour= x[:2]
       print hour
       newtime = year+month+day+'_'+hour+'00'

Alternative #1:

   newtime = []
   for x in time:
       hour= x[:2]
       print hour
       newtime.append(year+month+day+'_'+hour+'00')

Alternative #2:
   newtime = [year + month + day + '_' + x[:2] + '00' for x in time]

HTH,
John