how to add patch

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 16:10:37 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM, jimgardener <jimgardener at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi
> I have some demo python  code hosted on a public host that uses
> subversion..and I want to modify one of the files using a patch file
> handed to me by another person..How do I do this?Generally I checkout
> the code and make the change and then commit again..I have never done
> through patch..Can somebody tell me how to do this?

Using patch.  Give the patch file to "patch" via stdin, with some occasional
arguments.

patch -p0 -N < patch_file

If the path to the file is properly specified in the patch file itself, then
this will be automatic.  Otherwise, you'll need to specify the file you want
to patch.  You can see the man page for more details and options.

Good luck!
Jason

> thanks
> jim