My first Python program

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Wed Oct 13 15:03:30 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-13, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:
> For future reference, the significant majority of things in Python
> raise exceptions upon encountering errors rather than returning error
> values of some sort.

Yes.  I'm getting used to that -- it's a bit of a shift, because I'm
used to exceptions being *exceptional* -- as in, not a failure mode
you would expect to see happening.  So for instance, I wouldn't expect
to get an exception for EOF, because that's not exceptional, that's
virtually guaranteed to happen whenever you interact with files.  I am
gonna have to retrain a bit.

> Aside from APIs which explicitly provide a parameter to be returned as
> a default value in case of error (e.g. getattr(obj, name, default)),
> the only common exception* I can come up with off the top of my head
> is str.find()**, and even that has an exception-throwing cousin,
> str.index().

Interesting!  That may take me some getting used to.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net