Performance evaluation of HTTPS library

Ashish amvyas82 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 06:21:09 EDT 2010

On Oct 13, 2:36 pm, Stefan Behnel <stefan... at behnel.de> wrote:
> Ashish Vyas, 12.10.2010 14:40:
>
> > When I send request using HTTP, I am able to reach 1 transaction (request sent,
> > response rcvd and validated.) per second from 20 parallel connections easily.
> > Average response time shown is about 0.15 seconds.
> > However, when I send request using HTTPS, I am seeing that the response time
> > shown by tool goes to 1.1 seconds for same 20 parallel connection each trying 1
> > transaction per second.
>
> You shouldn't overestimate the performance requirements for SSL/TLS support
> inside of the server application itself, simply because it's not used that
> much in real world deployments.
>
> It's actually very common to use a proxy to handle HTTPS traffic, and to
> forward the requests as plain HTTP to the "real" server. Separating the two
> gives you more freedom in your deployment (e.g. you can deploy the HTTPS
> proxy locally or on an entirely different machine at a suitable place in
> the network architecture), and makes your server generally more scalable.
> You can additionally use the HTTPS proxy machine to distribute the normal
> HTTP load over multiple server instances. There's even dedicated networking
> hardware for SSL/TLS proxying if you need it.
>
> Stefan

Yes, I absolutely agree to you that the server shall also have similar
overhead when HTTPS is used in place of HTTP. Thanks for suggesting
the HTTPS proxy box.

However, my problem here is:-

client on XEON machine sending req over HTTPS:    average response
time ~= .2 secs
client on P4 machine sending req over  HTTP:      average response
time ~= .15 secs
client on P4 machine sending req over HTTPS:      average response
time ~= 1.1 secs

And I understand that until we have the feature implementation of
issue8106 as pointed out by Antoine, we may see no further improvement
on 1.1 secs (or .97 secs with 3.2a2) that I see.

Kindly confirm if my above conclusion is correct.

Thanks
Ashish.