"Strong typing vs. strong testing"

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Tue Oct 12 17:26:16 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-12 20:46:26 +0100, BartC said:

> You can't do all that if angles are just numbers.

I think that the discussion of percentages is relevant here: angles
//are// just numbers, but you're choosing a particular way of
displaying them (or reading them). 100% //is// 1, and 360° //is// 2π.
So really, like, for instance, number base, they're things that exist
for I/O but not inside the system.  At least for the purposes of doing
maths: computer type systems often don't have very much to do with
maths (for instance floating-point numbers are obviously a very
important type, but don't map onto anything that would be interesting
to a theoratical physicist).