C++ vs. Python Was: Re: help!!!

Krister Svanlund krister.svanlund at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 15:02:57 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj at urpla.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 October 2010, 06:28:51 Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 23:54:00 -0400, <fkrafi at aboutrafi.net23.net>
>>
>> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
>> > plz can u convert this cpp file into python i need that badly as soon
>> > as possible... I am new to python. I just wanna learn it....
>>
>>       Step one... DON'T TRY TO PORT C++ to Python... the object models are
>> quite different.
>
> I do this all the time without any adverse effects (other than being glad to
> only rarely having the need of doing it the other way around ;-)).

I have on occasion translated a few algorithms from python to c++ and
only needed to spend minimal time pythonize the code. Generally I
believe that porting from python to c++ and the other way around can
be done pretty nicely but you always have to take care to restructure
what has to be restructured.