sequence multiplied by -1

Sat Oct 2 23:08:14 EDT 2010

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 12:50:02 -0700, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

> 	Well... We could maybe borrow from REXX... and
> use		||	for concatenation.

|| for concatenation? What's the connection between the pipe character
and concatenation? I realise that, ultimately, every symbol was just made
up, but at this point in history the pipe character has the established
meaning of being used for binary- and bitwise-or, as well as the piping
of results from one command to another in shell scripts. Where's the
connection between those uses and concatenation? Why choose || instead of
^^ or && or |& or any other arbitrary combination of symbols? It seems to
me that || was just plucked out of the air because it was unused.

Both the + and & symbols have extremely strong associations with three
related operations (concatenate, add, and). They are related: integer
addition is a generalisation of concatenation, and you perform addition
by concatenation in unary (tally) notation.

Function names should be meaningful. You wouldn't write a function qq()
just because the name qq happened to be unused. And neither should you
use an operator unless the symbol is meaningful for the application.

Once you swallow the artificial and harmful convention that no operator
may ever be used twice, you're left with either avoiding operators even
when they would be useful, or choosing them arbitrarily. Both are harmful.

--
Steven