SQLite is quite SQL compliant

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Sat Oct 2 18:06:58 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-02, Ravi <ra.ravi.rav at gmail.com> wrote:
> The documentation of the sqlite module at http://docs.python.org/library/sqlite3.html
> says:

> "...allows accessing the database using a nonstandard variant of the
> SQL..."

> But if you see SQLite website they clearly say at http://sqlite.org/omitted.html
> that only very few of the SQL is not implemented. I think docs should
> clarify on that. Many users might be scared of using SQLite just
> because of this.

I would agree that the word "nonstandard" seems to be a little strong and
discouraging.  sqlite is a source of joy, a small bright point of decent
and functional software in a world full of misbehaving crap.  While it
does omit a few bits of SQL functionality, I'd call it perhaps a "slightly
incomplete implementation" rather than a "nonstandard variant".

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net