memory management - avoid swapping/paging

Jon Clements joncle at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 21 05:34:15 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Is there a cross-platform way using Python to guarantee that an object
will never be swapped/paged to disk? I'll be honest and say I'm really
not sure if this is a particular language question or rather specific
to an OS.

Under linux it appears I could create a ramfs and mmap a file under
that. Is there a way to do the above with mmap?

I'm after something that says: "I want 512mb of physical RAM, I don't
want you to page/swap it, if you can't do that, don't bother at all".
Now I'm guessing, that an OS might be able to grant that, but later on
have to kill the process as other higher-priority processes need RAM
-- that's fine.

Cheers,

Jon.