ANN: Python-on-a-Chip release 09

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Oct 20 05:26:47 EDT 2010

dwhall, 18.10.2010 15:15:
> Python-on-a-Chip
> Featuring the PyMite VM
> =======================
>[...]
> Python-on-a-Chip (p14p) is a project to develop a reduced Python
> virtual machine (codenamed PyMite) that runs a significant subset
> of the Python language on microcontrollers without an OS.

Do you have any idea of how fast it is compared to CPython when run on a
"normal" CPU? Given the size indications of a few KB of required memory,
the entire runtime should easily fit into a couple of cache lines of the
CPU's L1 cache, which could be quite an advantage, at least for selected
use cases.

I assume it also uses unboxed (plain integer/float) arithmetic, right? Does
that make a difference?

Stefan