pylint -- should I just ignore it sometimes?

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Tue Oct 19 15:57:36 EDT 2010

So, I'm messing around with pylint.  Quite a lot of what it says
is quite reasonable, makes sense to me, and all that.

There's a few exceptions.

One:  I am a big, big, fan of idiomatic short names where appropriate.
For instance:
	catch <something>, e:
I don't want a long, verbose, name -- "e" is about as much in need of
a long and descriptive name as the stereotypical "i" one would use as
a loop index (in a language without iterators).  Should I just ignore
that, or is it really more Pythonic to say something like:
	catch KeyError, exception_resulting_from_the_use_of_a_key_not_defined_for_the_dictionary_in_which_it_was_looked_up:

Secondly:  I am getting a couple of hits on things like "Too many instance
attributes (8/7) or "Too many branches (14/12)".  In the cases in question,
it doesn't seem to me that the number of instance attributes is particularly
devastatingly complicated, because the instances in question are, by design,
sort of data stores; they carry a handful of precomputed results that are
then reused to populate templates.

So am I going to be laughed out of the room if I just let a class have
eight instance attributes, or use a short name for a caught exception?

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net