Help with pointers when calling from python to C

Carolyn MacLeod Carolyn_MacLeod at ca.ibm.com
Fri Oct 8 11:23:19 EDT 2010

Hi.

This is kind of a cross-product question, having to do with accessibility
on Linux using ATK (AT-SPI).
However, I think it really boils down to a python question: "How do I pass
an integer by reference to a C function?"

I am using Accerciser (http://live.gnome.org/Accerciser), an accessibility
testing tool that has an ipython console.
It uses pyatspi to interact with AT-SPI through pyORBit.

I need to test my handling of
atk_editable_text_insert_text(AtkEditableText *text, const gchar *string,
gint length, gint *position).
In the example below, the variable 'acc' has been bound (by Accerciser) to
an accessible object that implements the AtkEditableText  interface.

The problem is that the pesky "position" parameter wants a pointer to an
integer.

I have tried all sorts of ways to get Accerciser's iPython console to
accept the last parameter, but I always get: "TypeError: could not marshal
arg 'position'."

Has anyone done this? If so, then how is it done?

Here's a sample of the things I tried:

In [1]: t=acc.queryEditableText()
In [2]: t.getText(0,45)
Out[2]: 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.\n'
In [3]: t.deleteText(10,15)
Out[3]: True
In [4]: t.getText(0,40)
Out[4]: 'The quick  fox jumps over the lazy dog.\n'
In [5]: pos=10
In [6]: t.insertText("brown",5,pos)

TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call
last)

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyatspi/__init__.pyc in <module>()
----> 1
      2
      3
      4
      5

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyatspi/accessible.pyc in _inner(self,
*args, **kwargs)
    230     try:
    231       # try calling the original func

--> 232       return func(self, *args, **kwargs)
    233     except ORBit.CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT, e:
    234       # raise Python exception

TypeError: could not marshal arg 'position'

In [7]: t.insertText("brown",5,id(pos))

TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call
last)

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyatspi/__init__.pyc in <module>()
----> 1
      2
      3
      4
      5

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyatspi/accessible.pyc in _inner(self,
*args, **kwargs)
    230     try:
    231       # try calling the original func

--> 232       return func(self, *args, **kwargs)
    233     except ORBit.CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT, e:
    234       # raise Python exception

TypeError: could not marshal arg 'position'

In [8]: pos=[10]
In [9]: t.insertText("brown",5,pos)

TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call
last)

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyatspi/__init__.pyc in <module>()
----> 1
      2
      3
      4
      5

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyatspi/accessible.pyc in _inner(self,
*args, **kwargs)
    230     try:
    231       # try calling the original func

--> 232       return func(self, *args, **kwargs)
    233     except ORBit.CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT, e:
    234       # raise Python exception

TypeError: could not marshal arg 'position'

In [7]: pos=array([10])

NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call
last)

/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyatspi/__init__.pyc in <module>()
----> 1
      2
      3
      4