Scheme as a virtual machine?

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 07:01:37 EST 2010

namekuseijin <namekuseijin at gmail.com> writes:

> I have to say I'm always amazed how ad hominens can generate quite
> strong responses to the point of making a lot of new faces (or mail
> accounts) suddenly appear... ;)

Actually, I had just noticed that aspect as well.  Is it just me, or
does anybody else also think it rather curious how some of the new
accounts all seem to share the same style of argument?

Granted, I don't have anything the issue of arguing a point itself.
However, it just seems rather unusual that many of the new faces all
seem to share the same style of reasoning....

When I was a student at my college, one of the students once told me a
secret about how a computer program ran by a professor for a course in
introduction to systems programming checked to ensure that the students
who were submitting homework assignments worked independently:  the
program counted the number of occurrences of each type of structure
(for-loop, while-loop, if-then statement,etc.), and compared the counts
for the types of structures among assignments between different
students.  The method was so effective that it was able to pinpoint one
program among approximately thirty that was handed in by a student who
had based his assignment on another program for the same assignment two
years earlier, also among approximately thirty.

A style of reasoning is like a fingerprint; it identifies the person
making the argument.  Of course, two people could have a very similar
style of argument.  However, the odds of this happening are less likely
in a single thread.  The odds of this happening are even less likely for
three people in the thread.  The odds of this happening are even less
likely for three *new* people in the same thread at the same time....

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^