what a cheap rule

Yingjie Lan lanyjie at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 25 11:15:21 EST 2010

--- On Thu, 11/25/10, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> > Sometimes the golden rule in Python of
> > "explicit is better than implicit" is
> > so cheap that it can be thrown away
> > for the trouble of typing an empty tuple.
> >
> I'm not sure that there *are* any golden rules. The "Zen of
> Python" is
> intended to be guidelines, not rigid rules intended to
> constrain your
> behavior but advice to help you write better code.
>

> Surely an exaggeration. In fact current best practice
> (which you should
> inform yourself of as best you can to help you in your
> teaching work -
> so you are to be congratulated for bringing this question
> to the list)
> is to always use explicit calls, with arguments specifying
> a tailored
> message.
>
> regards
>  Steve

A very cogent message -- the end echos the start. :)
I must say that I learned from you a new angle to
think about this issue. On the other hand, I still
feel that when allowing both ways colliding into
the simpleness and bueaty of the language, we
should consider to make a decision.

Sure, this introduced quite a lot of complexity
when the doc has to give a very long explanation of
what is happening in order to justify it.

As I am thinking about it, it seems two
conflicting intuition of code comprehension
are at work here:

Intuition #1: as if you raise an exception
type, and then match that type.
It seems that no instances
are involved here (Intuitively).
See an example code here:

try: raise KeyError
except KeyError: pass

Intuition #2: you raise an exception
instance, and then match an instance by
its type. See an example code here:

try: raise KeyError()
except KeyError as ke: pass

Those two comprehensions are not compatible,
and thus the one that promotes correct
understanding should be encouraged,
while the other should be discouraged,
and maybe even be made iliegal.