Making module content available in parent module

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Nov 23 07:35:02 EST 2010

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:36:05 +0100, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:

>  tests/
>    foo.py # defines TestFoo1 and TestFoo2
>    bar.py # defines TestBar1 and TestBar2
>
> What I would like to do now is this:
>
>  from tests import *
>  unittest.main()
>
> In other words, import all test files and run them. This does import
> them, but it turns out that I end up with modules foo and bar, and the
> unittests inside those are not found.

Given the directory structure you show, I find that hard to believe. You
should get an ImportError, as there is no module or package called
"tests".

But suppose you turn tests into a proper package:

tests/
  __init__.py
  foo.py
  bar.py

You could have __init__.py include these lines:

from foo import *
from bar import *

Then later, when you do this:

from tests import *

it will pick up everything from foo and bar, and unittest.main() should
run those tests as well. I think.

Or you could just do:

for module in (foo, bar):
    try:
        unittest.main(module)
    except SystemExit:
        pass

> PS: I've been trying a few things here, and stumbled across another
> thing that could provide a solution. I can "from tests import *", but
> then all these modules will pollute my namespace. I can "import tests",
> but then neither of the submodules will be in "tests". I tried "import
> tests.*", but that doesn't work. Is there no way to import a whole
> package but with its namespace?

The package needs to know what submodules to make available. Put inside
__init__.py:

import foo
import bar

and then from outside the package, do this:

import tests

Now tests.foo and tests.bar will exist.

--
Steven