unittests with different parameters

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 22 15:15:41 EST 2010

Ulrich Eckhardt <ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com> writes:

> Let's say I have two flags invert X and invert Y. Now, for testing these, I
> would write one test for each combination. What I have in the test case is
> something like this:
>
>   def test_invert_flags(self):
>       """test flags to invert coordinates"""
>       tests = [((10, 20), INVERT_NONE, (10, 20)),
>                ((10, 20), INVERT_X, (-10, 20)),
>                ((10, 20), INVERT_Y, (10, -20))]
>       for input, flags, expected in tests:
>           res = do_invert(input, flags)
>           self.assertEqual(res, expected,
>                            "%s caused wrong results" % (flags,))

The ‘testscenarios’ library is designed for just this reason
<URL:http://pypi.python.org/pypi/testscenarios/>. It takes a sequence of
scenarios, each of which is a tuple just like in your example, and
causes a separate test run and report for each one.

--
 \       “If we listen only to those who are like us, we will squander |
  `\   the great opportunity before us: To live together peacefully in |