building a web interface

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 00:50:14 EST 2010

On 11/20/2010 3:40 PM, Shel wrote:
> So right now I have a mySQL db structure and some Python code. My end
> goal is to create a browser-based interactive fiction/game thing. My
> code is currently just using dummy data rather than pulling in data
> from the db, but I think/hope it won't be too big of a deal to
> interact with the db through Python (famous last words...).

Suggestion: unless you're intent on reinventing the wheel, why not just
set up your web interface as a thin front-end for an existing IF engine?
  An excellent starting point for this would be digging up the source
for InfocomBot [1], an AIM bot that acts as a simple wrapper around
Frotz [2].  My recollection of seeing the source once is that it was
only around 50 or so lines of code.  Doing it this way,

1) You don't have to write an IF engine from scratch.

2) If you wrap Frotz specifically, you can serve any Z-code game ever
written, including (I think) all of the Infocom games.

3) You can create your game using powerful existing development tools,
such as Inform [3].

Cheers,
Ian

[1] http://waxy.org/2004/03/infocombot_for/