Help: Guide needed in trying to delete/flush the content of a fifo file.

Ton ph.ton.sharma at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:29:54 EST 2010

Thanks Mrab ... the way of how to use the pipe for the producer as
well as the consumer is a bit confusing to me. As i am using the
subprocess for both the producer and the consumer as above. Can you
please explain me further using a bit of pseudocode. Thanks for ur
concern.

In Nov 17, 12:13 am, MRAB <pyt... at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 16/11/2010 06:52, Ton wrote:

> >> Ah, you're using pipes; I thought you might've been using a queue. I
> >> don't know of a way of flushing a pipe.
>
> >> I wonder whether it's a good idea for the producer to keep filling the
> >> fifo, because the consumer know how 'old' the info is when it arrives,
> >> and there's your problem of discarding stale info. Perhaps the producer
> >> should wait until the consumer has sent an acknowledgement before
> >> sending more info.
>
> > Thanks Mrab,
> >    the problem now is that the producer continously dumps the
> > information and since i am implementing the producer using the
> > subprocess as like this
>
> > cmd = ['my files']
> > proc = subprocess.Popen(cmd, shell=True, bufsize=0,
> > stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT )
>
> > while flag == True:
> >       line = proc.stdout.read()
>
> > Now what i want is to synchronise the problem of actual info the
> > device is sending and the proper reading as the device is sending and
> > not about reading the previous old info in the fifo... hope i have
> > made clearer my prob. even i have tried proc.stdout.flush(), to flush
> > the previous old info in the fifo. Thnks
>
> Use two pipes, one each way. The consumer could use send a message to
> the producer requesting an update, which the producer could send back
> via the other pipe.

Thanks marab for your immediate reply. But how actually i go for using
pipes in the producer and consumer is a bit doubtful . can you please
explain with a pseudocode ... as in my case both producer and consumer
are executed using the subprocess as my previous post....
Thanks