Noob question on 2 vs 3 Python releases

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 23:47:48 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Franck Ditter <franck at ditter.org> wrote:

> Pardon my noobness (?) but why is there a 2.x and 3.x development
> teams working concurrently in Python ? I hardly saw that in other
> languages. Which one should I choose to start with, to cope with
> the future ? Isn't 3.x supposed to extend 2.y ?
> This situation is very strange...
> Thanks for your explanations...
>
>   franck
> --

Actually, has there ever been a language with a substantial userbase that
didn't ever have two (or more) versions at the same time?  C has, C++ has,
FORTRAN has, perl has, java has...

I believe user migrations are just kind of part of being a computer
language.  That's a significant part of why code doesn't maintain itself.