[Beginner question] Raster to ASCII

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sun Nov 14 14:45:20 EST 2010

On 11/14/2010 01:07 PM, Becky Kern wrote:
> import arcgisscripting
> gp = arcgisscripting.create(9.3)
> InRaster = "C:/data/raster1"
> OutAsciiFile = "C:/data/raster2ascii.asc"
> gp.RasterToASCII_conversion(InRaster, OutAsciiFile)
>
> The error message:
>
> arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
> raster1 does not exist.

While I can't speak specifically to arcgisscripting, having no
experience with it, the error _sounds_ like the InRaster file
isn't found.  It's the only reference to "raster1" in your code
and the error points directly at "raster1".  My suspicion is that
you're missing an extension...something like

   InRaster = "C:/data/raster1.rst"

with whatever the corresponding extension is.  Alternatively,
it's pointing at directory named "raster1" instead of a file.

-tkc