strange behavor....

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sun Nov 14 11:29:16 EST 2010

On 11/13/2010 3:28 PM Mark Wooding said...
> Steven D'Aprano<steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au>  writes:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 20:01:42 +0000, Mark Wooding wrote:
>>> Some object types are primitive, provided by the runtime system;
>>> there are no `internal' variables to be assigned in these cases.
>>
>> You seem to be making up your own terminology here, or at least using
>> terminology that isn't normally used in the languages I'm used to.
>
> I was attempting to define possibly unfamiliar terms as I went along.
> Did you not notice?

You both make valid points when viewed from the specific writer's
perspective.  I think you're speaking past each other because Steven and
others are explaining terms in their common python context in an attempt
to have Mark understand and use them similarly, which is of most benefit
to our community.  Mark on the other hand is attempting to make sense of
our common terms in light of similarly termed constructs from his
experience, which of course we all have done and do as we continue to
learn, but with an apparent effort to change our common usage.

Mark says "The latter is not an assignment: it's a disguised method
call."  We all know that _everything_ is a disguised method call and we
call the disguised method call that resembles a statement where the LHS
is separated from the RHS by a single equals sign assignment.

In the long run, Mark can choose to either further and complete his
understanding and adopt python's commonly understood terminology; or
continue to point to how in other languages the usage of terms also used
in python conflicts with the established meaning of those terms as
implemented in python.

The difference between "developing contributor" and "trolling" turns on
when this acceptance starts.

My .02.

Emile