IDLE debugger questions

cbrown at cbrownsystems.com cbrown at cbrownsystems.com
Sat Nov 13 14:11:43 EST 2010

On Oct 23, 7:29 am, Roger Davis <r... at hawaii.edu> wrote:

<snip>

> Are there any Python debuggers with a decent GUI out there at all that
> will work on a Mac with the following features: (i) ability to pass in
> a sys.srgv[] list that the program would otherwise see without the
> debugger, (ii) display local variables, (iii) single-step through the
> source code, and (iv) set a breakpoint? I think I can live without
> anything else for the moment.

I'm very happy using the Eclipse IDE (available for Mac, PC and 'Nix)
with the pydev plug-in. It's free, well supported and well behaved,
and has all the debugging features you name and then some. It's also a
modern code editor with code-hinting, syntax highlighting, etc.

The only downside of Eclipse to me is its 'workspace' and 'project'
metaphors for file organization; which take a bit of getting used to,
particularly if you're used to just editing in a text editor, and then
running in Idle or a command line.

I still usually also have Idle open as well so I can test little code
snippets quickly and easily; but mostly I work in Eclipse.

Cheers - Chas