Is a 32-bit build faster than a 64-bit build

Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens stefan.sonnenberg at pythonmeister.com
Fri Nov 12 16:39:34 EST 2010

Am 12.11.2010 22:24, schrieb Raymond Hettinger:
> My hypotheses is that for apps not needing the 64-bit address space,
> the 32-bit version has better memory utilization and hence better
> cache performance.  If so, then switching python versions may enable a
> single server to handle a greater traffic load.  Has anyone here tried
> that?
In most cases (all?) I have seen did the performance not differ when
compared
between running python scripts in 32 or 64 bit env.
But that is not true for compiled code.
Just take your script and do some benchmarking.

In germany we say: probieren geht über studieren.
Don't study - try it.

An ex-post explanation will show at hand, I promise :-)