Question on using urllib

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Nov 11 12:37:27 EST 2010

urllib.urlretrieve("http://www.infometeo.be/wwweather/currentimage.php?icao=EBFN",
> "meteo1.jpg")
> urllib.urlretrieve("http://www.meteokust.be/metstatgr.php?s=zb",
> "meteo2.jpg")
>
> But I would like to download the main background picture.
>
> By looking inside the html page, it seems it's url is:
> http://www.infometeo.be/img.php?iid=1057

> I try to download it with python:
> urllib.urlretrieve("http://www.infometeo.be/img.php?iid=1057",
> "picture.jpg")

The problem is indeed not Python-related. The provider of the images doesn't
like what you're trying to do and verifies the referer, i. e. that the page
you claim to be coming from is acceptable. Here's one way to satisfy that
check:

>>> from urllib2 import Request, urlopen
>>> r = Request("http://www.infometeo.be/img.php?iid=1057",
headers=dict(Referer="http://www.infometeo.be/img.php?iid=1057"))
>>> img = urlopen(r).read()
>>> with open("tmp.jpg", "w") as f: f.write(img)

Now if you are using that workaround a lot he may come up with more
sophisticated techniques. So dont ;)

Peter