Allowing comments after the line continuation backslash

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 19:05:26 EST 2010

On 11/9/10 4:51 PM, Mark Wooding wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro<ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>  writes:
>
>> In message<87fwvdb69k.fsf.mdw at metalzone.distorted.org.uk>, Mark Wooding
>> wrote:
>>> for descr, attr, colours in [
>>>          ('normal',      'image',        'Normal'),
>>>          ('highlighted', 'highlight',    'Highlighted'),
>>>          ('selected',    'select',       'Selected')]:
>>>    colourlist = getattr(MainWindow, 'Colors%sList' % colours)
>>>    ## ...
>>
>> But then you lose the ability to match up the bracketing symbols.
>
> You're right.  I do.
>
>> That’s why I put them on lines by themselves.
>
> But the bracketing symbols are thoroughly uninteresting!  All that
> putting them on their own lines achieves is to draw attention to the
> scaffolding at the expense of the building.  It's great if you like the
> Pompidou Centre, I suppose...

For me, putting the brackets on their own lines (and using a trailing comma) has
little to do with increasing readability. It's for making editing easier.
Keeping all of the items consistent means that in order to add, delete, or move
any item is the same operation everywhere in the list whether it is the first
item, last item, or any item in between.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco