Pythonic/idiomatic?

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Mon Nov 8 21:13:11 EST 2010

On 2010-11-09, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Seebs <usenet-nospam at seebs.net> writes:
>> I think we're stuck with backwards compatibility at least as far as
>> 2.4.

> Then you don't yet have the ???any??? and ???all??? built-in functions, or the
> tuple-of-prefixes feature of ???str.startswith??? either. Bummer.

Eww.

> At which point, the Pythonic thing to do is to convince your
> organisation to use a version of Python that's at least officially
> supported by the PSF :-)

Unfortunately, we're selling something to people who will explode if
we tell them to upgrade their RHEL4 systems, so we have to work on those.
(There is some tiny hope that we'll be able to move the baseline to RHEL5
within another two years.)

If it were only a matter of internal use, my job would be orders of
magnitude easier.  (I'm maintaining something that intercepts and wraps
large hunks of the standard C library; if you think dealing with
Python 2.4 is a burden, you ain't seen *nothing* compared to that.)

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net