Compare source code

rustom rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 08:53:25 EDT 2010

On Nov 6, 5:21 pm, m... at distorted.org.uk (Mark Wooding) wrote:
> Rustom Mody <rustompm... at gmail.com> writes:
> > As for tools' brokeness regarding spaces/tabs/indentation heres a
> > thread on the emacs list wherein emacs dev Stefan Monnier admits to
> > the fact that emacs' handling in this regard is not perfect.
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/1b...
>
> You've misunderstood.  That discussion is about configuring Emacs to not
> do automatic indentation when the `tab' key is pressed or when
> language-specific punctuation is entered.  It has very little to do with
> tab characters in files.

The OP there clearly says he needs help in dealing consistently with
'tabbed' files.
Mixing up these 2 issues (actually 3) is the 'Eternal Holy War' that
Jamie Zawinski talks about here http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Note: I am in no way supporting the demand that python should suddenly
get 'braced' beacuse:

a. this would do too much violence to the essential -- 'executable-
pseudo-code' -- spirit of the language
b. Anyway for me personally python and haskell are two of my favorites
and one their common features is this: indentation == program
structure

I am only pointing to the fact that one of the widely used and super-
powerful editors is less than perfect in this regard