Silly newbie question - Carrot character (^)

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Sat Nov 6 07:59:58 EDT 2010

On 11/05/10 23:33, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> As far as the OP's question, I'm kind of surprised that he wasn't told
> that Google is his friend. The very first hit for "python caret" answers
> his question. If he had spent even five seconds googling, he would have
> got his answer.
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=python+caret&btnG=Search

The OP didn't seem to know the name for the character which makes
it difficult.  As they wrote in the initial message, "Sadly my
google foo is failing since the character gets filtered out."

I'm guessing the OP tried to search for "python ^", and the "^"
just got filtered out, which makes for a rather unhelpful search
for just "python".  And since the OP had already tried to google
it, they weren't told to attempt it again. ;-)

Yes, with a little tweaking to the query, something like "python
^ operator" would get them to pages matching "python operator" in
which they could have searched for "^", but at least they made
the attempt (the lack of an *attempt* is what usually brings out
the "GTFW" responses).

-tkc